문헌으로 본 옥로주





우리나라 소주의 역사
우리나라에서 소주가 제조되기 시작한 연대에 대해서는 정확한 기록은 없으나 중국으로부터 전래되어 고려시대를 거쳐 이조 말기에 성행되었던 것으로 알려지고 있으며 북쪽 지방에서는 주로 옥수수나 수수 등을 주원료로 하여 제조하였으며 남쪽 지방에서는 쌀이나 보리를 사용하여 가양주 형태로 제조하여 왔다.
소주의 제조에 관한 문헌에 의하면 이조 말기에 서울의 만리현에 살던 이성년이라는 사람이 동판을 이용하여 동고리를 일년에 약 30개 정도씩 제작하여 소주를 제조하려는 사람들에게 팔아왔다는 기록이 있어 이를 뒷받침하고 있다. 이렇게 소주의 제조가 서울에서부터 시작되어 차츰 남쪽으로 전래되면서 유씨 가문에서도 이 무렵에 소주를 제조하게 되었다.

가양주 옥로주 유래
조선조 제23대 순조 왕 시대(1880~1834)에 서산 유씨 가문의 유성근과 부인 밀양 손씨가 최초로 가양주 형태의 옥로주를 빚었으며 현 기능 보유자 유민자의 증조할아버지인 유행용이 남원 산동을 떠나 하동군 화계면으로 이주하면서 가양주 형태에서 벗어나 다량의 소주를 제조하게 되었다. 이때 집 주변에 율무를 재배하여 쌀과 율무를 주원료로 하였으며 누룩을 만들 때도 밀과 율무가루를 혼합하고 약쑥을 첨가하는 등 지금의 옥로주 제조 방법이 마련되었다.
 
유행용은 둘째 아들 유양기에게 옥로주를 전수하여, 일제 강점기 1926년 가양주 옥로주는 많은 애주가로부터 대단한 호평을 받았다. 그러나 조선총독부 단속강화로 밀주 형태로 그 맥을 이어오던 중 1936년 하동읍에 일본식 단포 양조장이 만들어져 유양기 선생께서 증류식 소주 생산을 위한 동고리 제작 및 소주 제조에 관리자로 참여하게 되었다. 이후 해방이 되어 단포 양조장을 이현수가 인수하여 옥정양조원으로 개명하고 1947년 류씨 가문의 가양주 옥로주 주방문으로 30도 소주를 생산하여 판매하였다.
당시 옥로주의 인기가 많았으나 해방 후 어려운 사회적 환경과 6.25 한국전쟁으로 그 명성이 사라지게 되었다.
 
1993년 경기도무형문화재 지정, 1996년 전통식품명인(대한민국식품명인) 지정
노구의 유양기 선생은 장녀 유민자에게 가양주 옥로주 부활을 피력하여, 경상국립대학교 식품공학과 성낙계 교수, 동국대학교 식품공학과 노완섭 교수 등 많은 분의 도움으로 가양주 옥로주를 발굴하여 다시 세상에 알려지게 되었다. 옥로주의 명칭은 옥로주를 증류할 때 액화되어 마치 옥구술 같이 이슬방울이 떨어지는 모양을 보고 자연스럽게 옥로주라는 이름을 붙이게 되었다.


 

Origin of Gayangju and Okroju


Okroju was first made in the form of gayangju by the Yu Family in Seosan. Later, Haeng-yong Yu, the grandfather of master Min-ja Yu, moved from Sandong, Namwon to Hwagye-myeon, Hadong-gun. Here, he planted adlay, producing an adlay-based nuruk (fermentation starter) and okroju to build the foundation for okroju’s prominence.


Haeng-yong Yu passed down the brewing technique of okroju to his second sonYang-gi Yu, who wrote jubangmun (culinary book). During the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1926, gayangju and okroju were distributed secretly as home-brewed liquors. Their exceptional taste became widely acknowledged through word-of-mouth. Using this popularity to the fullest, Yang-gi Yu made donggori (round wicker container) and produced okroju at Danpo Brewery in Hadong-eup in 1936, attracting even more enthusiasts.


After the liberation of Korea, the Danpo Brewery changed its name to Okjeong Brewery and began to produce 35% okroju. However, the once-celebrated liquor saw a decline in its reputation and value, largely due to the deteriorating socioeconomic environment and the Korean War. In his late years, Master Yang-gi Yu continued to refine okroju with gayangju and passed down the brewing technique to his eldest daugher Min-ja Yu. Remembering the popularity of okroju in its prime years, he asked his grandson Jae-sik Jeong to re-create okroju and reached out to Nak-gye Seong, a food engineering professor at Gyeongsang National University, to further study the liquor. Upon finishing his basic research of the liquor, Professor Seong contacted Wan-seob Noh, a food engineering professor at Dongguk University, to perform in-depth exploration on the liquor. Their collective findings led to the nomination of okroju as the 12th intangible cultulral heritage of Gyeonggi-do in 1993. The resurgence of okroju’s reputation today is largely credited to Min-ja Yu, the late Yu Yang-gi’s eldest daughter. Later, Jae-sik Jeong, the eldest son of Min-ja Yu, inherited the brewing technique of okroju and continued the legacy by establishing Okroju Inheritance Center in Daebudo, Ansan.